Setting up on Google My Business is one of the easiest ways to give your business an instant SEO boost and start getting your business found in local search results.
Why do I need it?
This is one of the first question I get asked, so here are my top 5 reasons.
1. Its with Google – they love you to use their stuff so it gives you a big Google tick. Trust me on this, keeping Google happy with you is a big PLUS for your business
2. Its free advertising!
3. This is the search results page (SERP) for my business name and this red box shows all the amazing visibility I can get for my business, completely free – who doesn’t want that????
5. AND this is a local map view when searched locally for web design – see what comes up for Grow My Business – AWESOME
So now we know WHY we need it – let’s jump ahead to HOW to set up a listing
Create your Google my Business Listing
- You need a Google account. If you don’t have one – set it up here. If you have one login to the account you want associated with the business you are setting up.
- Go to google.com/business and click the green start now button in the top right hand corner
- Enter your Business Name
- Enter your Business Address
5. Enter your location
6. Enter areas you cover
7. Choose your business category. Be as accurate as possible, this is where you are telling Google which customers should see your listing…no pressure!!
8. Add your business contact details. Phone number and website address.
Verify your business
There are several ways to get verified, if you have the phone or email option showing for you – pick either of those as they happen pretty much instantly.
The postcard version can take a long time and in some cases for clients of mine – not arrive at all!! If you have to take the postcard option and it doesn’t appear – you can request another code.
Optimise your Google My Business Listing
*** you can actually start this without being verified so no excuses!
Go to you Google My Business dashboard, click on “Info,” on the left hand side and and start adding in as much information as you can under each section. This is all editable but is seen very quickly so take the time to get it all correct.
There is an option to add additional services which can help with your reach and the challenging categories Google presents. Make sure you still only select ones that are relevant.
Write compelling and intersting text using your keywords – remember its for google AND people. There is space for 750 charcters here so you have plenty od space to describe you business and its benefits here – think 15 second pitch!
Photos and videos
You can upload lots of photos but make sure they are top quality and relevantt to your business.
Really think about your cover photo as that’s what get displayed for everyone and will be representative of your business.
Videos can be uploaded too and must be
- 30 seconds or shorter
- 100 MB or smaller
- 720p resolution or higher
We all love social proof and like and take confidence that others have used and found your service or product awesome. The more reviews the better!
Create a link and send it directly to your client ie – make it ask easy as possible! Here is how to create a link https://whitespark.ca/google-review-link-generator/
Reading through this it might seem like quite a lot of work but I hope this step by step guide helps make it easier! Setting up your Google My Business listing is one of the most valuble things you can do for your business and as you can see, really just a process. Take the time, get it right and see the results.
Always happy to answer any questions, contact me – email@example.com
Have fun growing your business!
p.s If it really is in your too hard basket we do offer a Google My Business Setup Service